Tuesday, January 24, 2012

OHSS...

OHSS is a syndrome, its called ovarian hyper stimulated syndrome. It happens when the sacs that used to hold eggs prior to ovulation fill with fluid. My ovaries are already big from working hard at making all the eggs, we had 5this month remember... Any way the fluid absorbs into the ovary and then slowly leaks out into my abdomen. It can cause a lot of discomfort and bloating, all for which I have. It all started Friday, I thought I had gotten the GI virus that is going around, I had such a bad tummy ache, it felt like gas, cramps, and heartburn all at once. That night it was even worse and so it continued in this fashion until Monday when I noticed I was visibly bigger. I worked the weekend because I figured I wasn't contagious, I hadn't thrown up or had diarrhea, I just had this weird stomach problem. After I noticed the bloating I decided I better call the dr. I thought I might have OHSS, but didn't want to assume. Monday night it was hard for me to breathe, I had to sit in bed propped up on pillows, my chest felt tight and my heart hurt. I was getting a little nervous but didn't want to over react. I decided sitting on the couch was my best option, and so thats what I did. My breathing still hurt but it was better there. I went to the Dr's in the morning and they confirmed that I did in fact have OHSS, my ovaries were very swollen and there was a large collection of free fluid in my abdomen. He said it will most likely get worse before it gets better. He told me that if I got worse they would need to aspirate fluid off my stomach. FUN!  He said being skinny is not a good thing in this situation because the fluid has little space to occupy. I was placed on a special diet and given instructions. 
My diet is:
Gatorade & V8 juice- no water, or very small amounts
Protein shakes 2 daily with no less than 25gm of protein...yucky. ( I bought naked juice and odwalla they have some protein shakes, Ill test them tonight. I usually don't like protein.)
Salt-which I never use now I was told to put on all my food, and to eat very salty things, chips, pretzels, etc. so for the first time in my life I went shopping and put things back on the shelf that were low in sodium! I ended up with cup of noodle. You are not allowed to eat this ever! It has a whopping 1180mg of sodium in one cup! Success :) 


So aside from all of this really fun stuff, Mommy took a new job. I finally put my two weeks notice in. My work environment was not supportive of me becoming a mommy and since I want that more than anything I decided to go somewhere that would happily embrace motherhood. I got hired with my dr! I will no be a fertility nurse. The staff seems wonderful, Debbie, who I have talked about a lot is wonderful, Lisa is the manager and she is very sweet. She is excited to have a lot of new projects and new hopes for the office. It will be exciting to be a part of such a great team. Also my dr is wonderful. He is kind, smart, and really truly cares about his patients. 


I start there February 6th! 


Today Mommies friend Paola came out to have lunch with me, it was really nice. We ate and talked. It had been so long since we had gotten together. Paola, like a lot of mommies good friends is busy, but we are blessed in the fact that we can be busy for years and pick right up in our relationship like we had seen each other every day.


Auntie Franny is moving back home! I am so excited. I think she arrives tomorrow. I am so happy for her. She is going to live in Redondo Beach :) She is excited to become an auntie and so are all of your other aunties, so if you want to be spoiled with love be alive already!


Well my little love bug Mommy loves you, Daddy loves you too! He has been so busy in school lately. Im so proud of him. He is working so hard. He is doing great on his quizzes and tests. Wish him good luck. Hoping you will join the family soon after he graduates so he can love you a lot before he starts working again and becomes more MIA. 


I better get back to my couch sitting straight is hard for me too. Im not complaining, Im thankful, Im going to praise the Lord with every symptom I get, which thus far has been every symptom including the rare 1 % of people will get this complication. Haha But if I get you in the end I don't mind at all. I enjoy it. Ok that was a lie, I really don't enjoy it, but your worth it! 



All the black stuff is free fluid, my ovaries are huge and my poor uterus is being pushed out of the way. One day I hope I get to see you in there!
Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment