In becoming a mother I was able to view breasts differently. Before I became pregnant I was fairly modest. I didn't wear flashy clothing, I kept covered. I had what I think is the perfect size boobs for my body. To me they were perfect! Not so big that they caused me pain and threatened to sag to my knees one day, but not so small that you couldn't see them with a magnifying glass. Did I want bigger boobs? Sure, but only because I grew up in a society that told me I wasn't sexy or womanly because my boobs were a certain size. I'm fortunate that I was strong enough to stand up against the pressures the world places on women to fix themselves. I am made perfectly. My breasts were made for a reason and they function amazingly well. I hope to be a strong mother, one that teaches M that she is perfect the way she is. I hope to love her and to show her how to be proud of her body. Breasts are amazing!! They are made to nourish life. These boobs have grown my sweet 5lb baby to a whooping 9lb baby in just 6 weeks. That to me is amazing!! They provide the perfect nutrients for her. They are filled with immune boosting antibodies that help strengthen her growing body. They are able to change to meet her needs. They are powerful!! I love feeding her. Our initial breast feeding attempts were very sad and stressful for me. Because M was born small and with low blood sugar she was given formula. I cried when they told me. I longed to nurse M so badly. To have that bond, that connection that only we can have. To be able to feed her while gazing down at her. To have my body work finally how it was intended to work. I needed it as much for her as for me. I am so grateful for Matt and our nursing staff for encouraging me. I refused to give up, I kept trying and they formulated ways to make my efforts useful. M needed to eat a certain volume every 2 hours. They said she had to have formula because you can't assess the amount of breast milk that a baby takes. Thankfully Matt was on the ball! He asked if I could pump, measure the milk and feed it to M that way! Genius!!! I could have wept it was so smart!! Of course I could do it. My milk is far superior to formula. I was able to feed M immediately and after two syringe feeds we were nursing. We were pros in no time. I love feeding her. I hope to feed her as long as possible. The benefits are so huge!! I will do anything to help her. It's exciting knowing I am doing it! I'm so proud of me. Proud of all the mothers that breastfeed their babies. Mothers who don't give up despite the difficulties., the pain, the frustrations. Mothers who work to maintain their supply. Mothers who chose to wake up every two hours to feed their hungry baby rather than taking the easy way out and giving them fillers. Mothers who know breast milk is the best milk. It's empowering! More about boobs later! I just wanted to share some excitement and encourage all the mommas out there! It is hard, and it's painful and exhausting but it's the best gift you can give your growing baby!!!
I know public displays of breast feeding are inappropriate to some and I'm sorry you might feel that way. Breasts are amazing, they were designed to sustain life. They are not only a sex symbol. When you see a nursing mother rather than gawk at her and make her feel bad for doing what nature designed applaud her for being the best mother possible!
There is nothing more satisfying than watching her watch me as my body works to grow and sustain her every need.
No comments:
Post a Comment