Please learn!!
Hello my fellow blog readers! I hope you are all great. Today I come to you with a story and a plea for help. No matter how big or small you are, young or old, you can learn to help save a life...
Today I had a busy busy day! It started early. I walked Harvey and then went to my doctors appointment for my ankle. The doctor was young like just born young! I was expecting an old man. Ha he said yeah it looks bad, you need to see an orthopedist and get an MRI, maybe some pt too. I already knew that, thank you for wasting my time and charging me a copayment! Lol
Next I went to the DMV! Luckily I had an appointment so it only took me 20 minutes! I lost my drivers license so I needed to get a replacement before I needed it. With my luck I decided to go ASAP! Haha
After the DMV I met up with Megan and Mila. Mila is getting so big!! She was 9lbs at her last appointment. She is looking around more, holding her head up and has the cutest poo bear butt! I love watching Megan with her and of course I love my auntie time with her!! We had lunch and then snuck off to the goodwill. Megan was looking for an elf on the shelf and I was in search of a large brita water pitcher because mine is too small. I refill it at least 7 times a day! We looked around and were both unlucky. We did find some goodies though. we were trying to be quick because we snuck out with Mila, who was born in september right after Grace and Wyatt. She isn't really out yet bc of flu season but we bundled and covered her. We were being sneaky because her husband said not to go, thats when we should have known something weird would happen! As we got in the line Megan said oh no someone threw up. I immediately thought someone is sick lets get Mila out of here. I saw the woman's hand only. It was white, like sheet white. The checkout girl was cleaning the floor in front of the woman and another woman about 40 was holding her shoulders up. She had vomit on her pants. I felt bad but we started to head towards the door. As we did i thought, She was so white. I thought oh my goodness I better see if she's ok. Well I went over and she was not alert at all, not breathing and no pulse. I asked if anyone knew her name. It was Liz (name made up for her protection) I said help me put her on the floor. Go get help, they called for help while I started CPR. I told Liz my name was Andrea and I was going to try helping her. I know hearing is the last to go, and I didn't want her to think what the hell is happening! I asked the worker if they had an AED and to go get it. She said what is that, then said, "oh that box thing?" yes the box thing. Then she said well we called 911. I said i don't know when they will be here go try to find it. I was doing CPR the entire time. It was crazy and intense!!! After a bit she started breathing, and her eyes fluttered. I said Liz, it's Andrea, can you breathe for me? Your doing great keep trying. I told her to keep breathing then felt for a pulse it was weak but returning. I kept telling her to breathe and listen to my voice. Then the firemen and paramedics arrived! It was insane!!! She was alive when she left so they were all so happy and thankful I was there. Everyone kept saying good job! Thank you! So glad you were here! I was a bit embarrassed! Megan and i left afterwards and i was thinking oh no her husband will find out now, and she was thinking wow! Andrea kicked butt! Haha we were laughing about our crazy day together! Man it was scary!!
This brings me to my plea for help. I was the only person in that store that knew CPR. You don't need to be a nurse to learn CPR, anyone can do it. I actually learned today that the boy scouts do it! I think that's amazing!! It's not hard, it's very basic and can make all the difference in the world! Had Liz not received CPR her brain would have died and she would have also. Her organs were not getting blood and therefore no oxygen. No oxygen = incompatible with life. SCARY!! Fate took me there today. The entire time I was there I thought oh my gosh what if this was my grandma, or my mom, or a friend and they died because no one knew basic life support skills. My stomach felt sick. The manager thanked me, he said they don't know CPR. They hadn't even located the AED at this point. Why bother to have a life saving device if you don't know where it is or how to use it?!!!! I believe every person should learn CPR. You don't even need to breathe for the person anymore. I chose not to because I was uncomfortable placing my mouth on hers and I knew studies show the most crucial thing is getting the heart pumping again, and so that was my focus, and goal. I want to push all people in customer service to Learn it. If not at least the manager on duty should know it! Places should Put a poster up on a wall. What about showing a CPR how to as a 30 second commercial instead of what stupid car is coming out, or what new pharmaceutical medication will be on the market? think about it, it could mean your life, or someone you loves. Please help me help us save lives!!
A fun idea would be going to learn with a group of your friends! Maybe a girls night, pizza, wine and CPR :)
Websites to learn more about classes in your area:
Www.heart.org (this is my favorite site. It's the American heart association. They are the best and easiest to learn from)
Www.pro-cpr.com ( I've taken courses through them, they are great! In long beach. Very fun class, teachers are relaxed and make learning fun! Also website has great material that you can print)
If you have any questions or want a buddy I'll be happy to support anyone who wishes to learn! Feel free to contact me if you need more info!!
You done so well you hero x
ReplyDelete