I love watching Harvey love us. I know it may seem silly to many who don't own pets or see their pets as family but I do. I truly treat Harvey like he's my son. Matt and I have always raised him how we hoped a boy would be. We talk to him, we love on him constantly and we discipline him when needed. We love getting to take him places with us. If I could I would turn him into a real boy. I just love being with him!
Harvey has been a blessing always. He loves people, and is so thoughtful. He knows when I need extra love and is so gentle with me. Yes he does naughty things sometimes that make me nervous or upset but who doesn't?! He jumps up to greet people sometimes and it's scary for my grandma and many people. It's not very polite and we have been working at nixing that for years. I think he does it because we hug each other and so he wants to be up at our level and hug us. He doesn't jump on people who are smaller than him. He really isn't naughty. He never really was. We always trusted him in the house. Of course he showed us he was upset with us a few times when I worked exceptionally long hours. Once I came home to a hole dug in the yard and a big pile of dirt! I was grumpy because it was a mess that I would eventually clean but when I saw him he was more upset with himself than I was. I didn't greet him, I just looked at him and sternly said, "Harvey, this is not good" . He had his head low and his tail was between his legs. He knew it was naughty, but I had no right to yell at him. Kids make messes all the time and he is a puppy. I cleaned the mess, came inside and kissed and hugged him. I told him that I loved him still, and that it was ok he made a mess, but mommy didn't like it much. We always talk to him. He never dug another hole! The beach is a different story he's allowed to dig there and we encourage it! He needs to be free.
Last night Matt and I were going to have a date night. Yesterday was a really emotional day for me. I felt so bad when Matt came home I was in tears. I'm sure it's not the most exciting thing to leave work eager to go out only to find your wife in a heap on the bed! I know sexy! Anyway we decided that getting out in the fresh air would be nice. I got ready, washed my tear streaked face and walked downstairs. The garage door was open. No Harvey to be seen. I asked Matt if the door had been open long and he said yes but Harvey wouldn't walk out alone would he? I ran outside terrified! It's always a fear of mine that he will get hit, or taken. I was yelling for him and Matt ran out also looking for him. Suddenly his sweet head popped out of the backseat of Matt's car. It was turned on and ready to go. Harvey was sitting in the back. He had a look on his face that said your not going without me! So the three of us left for dinner. It was so lovely having him with us. He was wonderfully behaved and everyone loved seeing him. He snuggled with us all night.
Today I spent much of the day with him, we played fetch, talked and snuggled on the couch. I left for dinner with Megan, Yaojen and Mila. I kissed him goodbye and left. I missed him so much!!! We hate leaving him home. When I got home he was so sweet. He nestled right up against me and I hugged him and kissed his head and cheeks. Then I took him outside to potty. When we went out Matt arrived and showed Harvey the groceries we had. We have a rule of showing him everything we bring home, so his routine is to put his head in all the bags we have inspecting it! It's really funny and cute to watch. Anyway he was so happy to see Matt, but was anxious I would leave. He stood with his body against me and his head on matt. I went to check the mail while Matt parked his car and Harvey was torn watching us go in different directions. He moved forward then back. I laughed because it was so cute watching how much he loves us and wants to be with us. We parked the car, got the mail and came inside. Matt's watching a movie now and Harvey and I are upstairs in bed. I'm writing and he's laying by my feet keeping them warm.
I feel so lucky having Harvey. He truly is more than a dog to me. He is my family. He is my son and I am proud of him and the sweet kind boy he is. He knows when my heart is aching and although he can't offer me words his actions speak loud enough.
He is my angel on earth. I love you Harvey.
No comments:
Post a Comment