Friday, September 14, 2012

Day 54 Big Surprises!!

Hi my sweet sweet babies,
What an incredible journey this has been. You surprised mommy and daddy and entered this world Wednesday September 12th at 12:55 Wyatt, and 12:56 Grace. Daddy was there for the whole thing which was amazing! It was a crazy emotional day. It started with contractions Tuesday night, we were having them about every 2-3minutes. The drs gave us our medication early and I got ready for bed. Daddy couldn't stay the night since we had a roommate which was sad:( daddy took your big brother Harvey to the park to play. I didn't feel well when I woke up, I felt nauseated and had some mild cramping low down. We were contracting but they were not painful. I went to see Connie dr tooheys ultrasound tech. We saw how big you were, you both looked beautiful. We didn't check my cervix again we just looked at you. Once I left I was very excited at how good you looked, you both had more than 3cc of Fluid surrounding you and looked to be growing well. We came back to our room and I gave Megan our roommate the update. I texed daddy your sizes and the news on how you were, then we started having a lot of contractions!! Donna from L&D came up to monitor us and we were contracting every minute, she ran to get the dr. Dr sue was on and she came to check me. She said well, your 100% effaced and 4-5cm dilated. We need to deliver now. I burst into tears and shook uncontrollably. They said to call daddy which I did immediately. Daddy really helped calm me down on the phone. He said he would drop Harvey of and head straight over. He told me I was so strong and beautiful and that we could do this. He said God was with us ad knew exactly what was happening. I cried and cried. I was beyond terrified! 25+5 is too early! I wanted you to stay inside I begged for mag sulfate again, nurses pushe me through the halls on my bed to a delivery room, I had an iv in within within minutes, a sister came and prayed for us, then the dr and anesthesiologist came to talk to me. It was just too much for me at the time I was sobbing and couldnt stop. I was so afraid. I covered my face with my gown and tried hiding, it felt like a nightmare and I wanted to wake up and get out of it. a few minutes later the second dr came in and asked if we were ready. We were trying to wait for daddy. luckily just as they were taking my to the or daddy came running in. They handed him some clothes and told him to change and meet them in the or. they took me back and started my spinal block. it wasn't terrible, I think what made it worse was that I was shaking all over. I was in complete shock and couldn't control the shaking. Carol our second nurse held my shoulders and had me rest my head on her shoulder, the anesthesiologist was great. Dr. Orozco. he explained each step to me and reassured me that we were doing great and had an amazing team. Mommy had two nurses for just me, then we had two drs. Dr. Sue and Dr Cortez, they were both working on my c-section, then Daddy was holding my hand and talking me through everything. The Dr. Orozco kept updating me since I couldn't see anything. Dr. Patel the neonatologist was there as well as Dr.Hicks. we felt so blessed that they were both on, we feel very comfortable with them both. Each of you had your own dr, nurse and respiratory therapist to take care of you. The c-section felt so weird. I could feel every tug, pull, poke etc. It was weird, and the worst thing was that I could smell the burning flesh. So weird. I kept telling daddy this is so crazy, this is weird, he just kept reassuring me that we were doing great. He got to see you both and said you were so beautiful. They intubated you both shortly after you were born. Wyatt, you were 1 pound, 12oz 13inches long, and my Grace you were 1lb 4oz and 12 inches long. They took you straight to the NICU. Daddy got to say goodbye but it would be hours before I got to officially meet you both. After they finished stitching me up they rolled us into recovery, I started feeling itchy and nauseated, my normal after surgery. I want allowed to eat or drink at all. Dr. Patel came to update us and tell Daddy that he could visit you. Daddy was really excited he got to see you both. He took a lot of pictures of you both. He was so eager to show me the pictures of you both. The pictures made you look so big. I was soon transferred upstairs to our room where we will stay until we go home this weekend. I was exhausted but so eager to see you. Our nurse said no, that I needed to wait until night shift to see you, that I needed to drink a little and be able to sit up. I was so eager, unfortunately I was really nauseated and boy did it hurt badly when I threw up. My poor belly felt like it was going to tear open. The worst was when they came in to do a massage on my belly to check for my uterus. It hurt so much, but I knew they needed to do it. I talked my nurse into letting me visit. We got zofran to help with nausea and I also pumped 5cc of colostrum for you!! I was so excited, Good job boobies!!! Daddy wheeled me over and I met you. Instant love, and fear overwhelmed my body. YOU ARE SO SMALL!!! Grace your feet are the size of gummie bears, and daddy can fit his wedding band around your hand and wrist. It really scared me, I mean I knew you were small but I didn't think you were that small. Wyatt you looked so much bigger than Grace. Its amazing what those few oz do for you. I talked to you both and held both of your hands. It made my night. I also took dolls and placed them in my shirt for you so you could have my scent. we got two for each of you, so we both always have one with us, I exchange them every time I see you. I love smelling you and I hope you find comfort smelling me.  Before bed Dr. Patel came to our room and updated us. We really like him. He told us that you were both having blood pressure issues and needed dopamine to help stabilize it.  Wyatt you also had hyperglycemia which is sometimes caused by the stress of being a preemie and also they tried to place a picc line in you without success and sometimes that causes stress and the bodies response is to have a high blood sugar.You both also had low white blood cell counts so they were worried about infection.I went to bed freaked out to say the least. Yesterday I was so exhausted the day was surreal and I was so overwhelmed and emotional. We came up around midnight and got ready for bed, I couldn't sleep because I was just so overworked and emotional. Daddy slept soundly though. I got up at 3 and pumped again, then at 7. I want to do everything and anything possible to help you. We went to visit you and Dr. Hicks allowed us to give you some colostrum. It was amazing. Daddy got to feed you Grace and I got to feed you Wyatt. You both LOVED it. you licked it all up. It was so sweet. We had to leave at 7 for change of shift, and when we came back Wyatt you were having a hard time breathing.They were doing a chest x-ray and checking your tube. It was really scary. Daddy couldn't stand the sight and had to take a few minutes away from us. Eventually you settled down and were able to breathe better, but it was very emotional to watch. Grace you are still struggling to breathe, each breath looks like so much work. We are so sad watching you go through so much. I so wish I had a stronger body and was able to carry you both longer, but I need to believe that God has a plan for us and I need to trust in him and that plan. Today, aside form the breathing issues you both have, Wyatt your hyperglycemia has resolved, and you both have good blood pressures. You are both working very hard to breathe. Today our prayer is for your lungs, for your sweet brains to be protected, and for your tummies. We are praying and thinking of you always. I love you so much and am so proud of you and your strong spirits. You have so many people praying and hoping for you. I prayed over both of you tonight before I left. I hope you know how much mommy and daddy love you. Auntie Erika stopped by today and dropped off some special tea for mommy. It helps with milk production. I was asleep so I didn't get to visit with her. she left me a sweet note though. So sweet and thoughtful of her to let me sleep. I am constantly amazed and so filled with joy. We have angels all around us. This experience while very emotional and hard has shown me that goodness exists in this world still. Auntie Kelly is working on a project for us, I was so emotionally grateful when she talked to me about it. Its amazing what people are doing for us all around the world. We are a blessed family. On our way to seeing you tonight I decided that I would try walking as far as possible. Daddy had the wheelchair just in case I got tired. I made it to the NICU and back. It hurt really really bad but I passed some gas and got more movement in. After being on bed rest for 2 months moving is hard not to mention my c-section. We are strong though. On our way down we said hi to our L&D nurses, gave them hugs and thanked them for everything again. They are so sweet. They have been visiting you since the NICU is right there. They told us that Megan was on mag again and not doing great. I asked to pray for her. They took Daddy and I into her room. She was so happy to see us. I asked if we could pray for her and her family and she agreed. It was so nice to be able to pray over her and also answer all of her questions and help to ease some of the fears she had. I am praying she is able to hold Mila inside her belly longer. She said Mila was excited to meet her friends. I helped encourage her and told her that she was strong and could do this. I am praying also tonight that God is with them and protects them, and if its in his will for Mila to be born tonight that he protects her and helps to keep her safe. I also pray for a safe delivery for Megan and a speedy recovery. I am so grateful for all of the relationships we have made here at St. Jude. What a huge blessing. God has a plan through all of this. I just need to trust. In a few weeks depending on how you are doing they will allow grandparents to visit. They allow one grandparent at a time with mommy or daddy only. The nicu is pretty strict about visitors which I really like. It keeps you safe. I need to remind myself that while people are excited to see you, you are still young and cannot handle much stimulation, if you were still in my belly no one would see you right now. People have the rest of your lives to see you and thank goodness here they have webcams. We were able to share that information with family and friends now, so they can see you and send you love that way. So many people are praying and sending positive vibes your way. Sleep well and stay safe. Your nurses are beyond amazing and we are so grateful for them, the doctors and respiratory therapists. My team is amazing also. Leah our night nurse has been amazing and helped mommy get more colostrum for you and really encouraged my movement. She was really happy and proud of us!!! 

Mommy and Daddy love you

Pictures will be posted soon. Sleep now.. love you

No comments:

Post a Comment